Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Murder, She Wrote

Instead of spending a million dollars on housing us at hotels every night for two weeks, we spent the nights in "host homes"--the homes of people in the church's where we performed (save a couple of times where we were in hotels). It was a new family every night, which was fun (and also exhausting!). We got to learn about so many different cultures, hear many stories of how people met, married, and came to know Christ. It was amazing, the common bond that perfect strangers have in Christ!

The funnest nights are when you get those...unique people:-) Our first couple was one such experience. We were staying in Tennessee, and this couple, around eighty years old, had the thickest southern accent I had heard in quite some time. They brought us into their home around 10pm that first Monday night of tour and were so excited to show us every detail in their large and bedecked home. They used to own an antique store, and their whole house was full of antiques! Their favorite thing to show us was their master bathroom (that was awkward), and their antique, secretive roll top table, which mysteriously and magically unrolled when they both pulled on the ends.

However, the most interesting thing that happened that night occurred when they were telling us about their four, grown children. Kelver (the man), had mentioned before that their youngest daughter had died, and they had moved to escape the bad memories.

They stopped in front of the wedding pictures of their children, explaining the life story behind each. I was beginning to droop with weariness. When they got to their youngest, Linda said, "and this is our youngest who is now gone."

Kelver took a long look at the picture then, "Yes...her husband unfortunately had her murdered."

I woke up quickly, waiting for them to expound. Since neither one offered more information, I let the subject drop. I must admit, I didn't believe them. I figured, at worst, they were the sad parents of a woman who had had an unhappy marriage and died suddenly and they blamed her husband. I was in for an unpleasant surprise.

As they finished up the tour, Linda spoke up again "Oh, Ashley Nicole" (you have to imagine the accent) "I wrote a book after our daughter was killed, about the healing of our family. I'll give you a copy." She went to the shelf, pulled out the book, and handed it to me.

It was entitled simply, Judy; the murder of our daughter, the healing of our family. Now I was starting to get curious. If she's published a book about it, there had to be something to the story.

We visited for awhile and then turned in for the night. I eagerly picked up the book and began scanning through it quickly to see if there really was truth to their claims. Unfortunately, there was. The short story is their daughter was indeed brutally murdered by her husband...and all for $250,000 in life insurance. He, of course, did not receive the money. He is serving a life sentence + 20 years without parole, in jail.

I didn't know that when I went to sleep that night, though. Needless to say, I was a little on edge.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Sister. Ever since you related this story to me on the phone while I was at work, it has given me the willies. Kind of like the Wicked Witch of the West, only real and not made up. What a scary story!